Larry and Shemp are hiding out in a stolen railroad car called "Schmow." Larry wants to marry his girlfriend Lenore (Patricia Wright), but she refuses to consent until Shemp marries her sister Roberta (Victoria Horne). The problem is that Shemp is rarely sober, and madly in love with an imaginary giant canary named Carrie.
A private investigator from the railroad (Moe) finds the missing train, and is trying to get a sense of how the car was stolen from a moving train. As fate would have it, Moe had a previous relationship with Roberta, and has not seen her for years. He is ecstatic to find her after many years of disconnect, and tries his best to rekindle the long dormant love affair.
Moe then decides to abandon his responsibilities and stay with the group, trying to marry Roberta. In the end, Shemp winds up with both women, but still prefers his imaginary bird.
- Moe Howard, as the Private Investigator
- Larry Fine
- Shemp Howard
- Patricia Wright, as Lenore
- Victoria Horne, as Roberta
- Over the past 50+ years since its release, Cuckoo on a Choo Choo has been dubbed one of the most original and unique shorts in the Stooge canon. However, the overwhelming majority of fans and critics have deemed the film the worst Stooge comedy made.
- Cuckoo on a Choo Choo featured the longest slapfest between Moe and Shemp.